Don’t agree with comments about hotel being tired. There was an old fashioned elegance about the hotel. Our room was large and very comfortable. Everything anyone would require was in the room. The bathroom had a bath and a shower but minor refresh of grouting could be done.John from Glenrothes, checked in Tue 20 Jun 2023
- Private beach
- Views of Marsamxett Harbour
- Free shuttle bus to Valletta
With a prime location on the ancient outskirts of Valletta, the 5 star Excelsior Grand Hotel Malta is ideally situated on the island’s east coast. With luxury touches such as a free shuttle bus into Valletta, a private sandy beach (the only one of its kind in the area) that faces directly on to the marina, and a decadent spa where you can relax your troubles away, this is a hotel that literally rolls out the red carpet for its guests with a new-classical design that features white marble pillars, dazzling chandeliers and sumptuous deep pile carpets.
There’s also a large indoor and outdoor swimming pool, complete with sun beds and a well-equipped fitness centre for those looking to work off some of the treats available in the hotel’s five bars and three restaurants.
WHO IS IT GREAT FOR?
Couples recommend the 5 star Excelsior Grand Hotel Malta because of its location, close to the centre of Valletta but also beside the sea, and its opulent facilities.
AT A GLANCE
- 9 km from Malta International Airport
- 5 km from Royal Malta Golf Club
- 650 m from Valletta’s City Gate
Pools and leisure
- Sun terrace
- Private beach
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Indoor swimming pool
- Sauna & Steam room
- Free shuttle bus to Valetta (10.00 – 18.00 daily)
- Water sports (extra charge)
- Bike hire (extra charge)
Restaurants and bars
- 1 buffet restaurant
- 2 à la carte restaurants
- 2 bars
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free parking
- Luggage storage
- 24-hour reception
- Laundry and dry cleaning (extra charge)
- Air conditioning
- Car hire
LOCAL AREA AND THINGS TO DO
Within easy walking distance of Malta’s capital of Valletta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, you can see many of the city’s attractions such as the 16th-century Baroque Saint John’s Co-Cathedral, the Grandmaster’s Palace and Upper Barrakka Gardens. If you want to explore further afield then local transport links are just 500 m away from the hotel and Manoel Island is a short boat ride away and home to the star-shaped Fort Manoel as well as a duck sanctuary.
The island’s royal golf course is popular for those looking to enjoy a round or two, and you can visit Valletta’s Waterfront which looks out across the Grand Harbour for a drink or laid-back meal in one of the converted stone warehouses.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Spice Island and its bar are the Excelsior Grand Hotel Malta’s buffet restaurant, serving a range of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Asian cuisine at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Admiral’s Landing is an à la carte lunch restaurant and offers buffet dinners. It boasts views across the marina and is open for lunch and dinner offering a selection of international dishes with a European twist.
- The Tiki Bar & Restaurant gives you an al fresco option right beside the water’s edge offering pasta dishes, salads and fresh seafood dishes. This à la carte restaurant is open for lunch and dinner.
- The Harbour View Bar is open 24 hours a day and serves light snacks between 12.00 and 23.00.
- The Blue Ocean Bar is open 10.00 – 24.00 for drinks and serves light snacks during the day.
- 429 rooms/suites
- 10 floors
- 3 lifts
- Free Wi-Fi
OVERVIEW OF ROOMS
There are a number of room choices at the Excelsior Grand Hotel Malta, as standard they each feature air conditioning, Wi-Fi, a flat-screen television, an en-suite bathroom with a bath, shower and toiletries, a telephone, safety deposit box, mini bar, and tea and coffee making facilities. Classic rooms come with a king size bed and enjoy views of the gardens or hotel piazza. They are 33-38 m² and can be upgraded to have sea views. Family rooms also available. Superior rooms and deluxe rooms have a king size or twin beds, a furnished balcony and can be upgraded to have sea views. Family rooms are also available with additional rollaway beds to accommodate up to 4 people. Suites have partial views of Marsamxett Harbour and Manoel Island and are 56 m², with a living area. If you book a superior suite, you’ll also have access to the hotel’s executive club lounge throughout your stay.
Information based on previous season and could be subject to change.
Bar and restaurant opening times may vary based on the season.
Babysitting / Childcare